Riak is a scalable, fault-tolerant, open source key/value database intended to be the primary mechanism for data storage in production applications.
The Joyent Riak SmartMachine is a dynamically scalable virtual machine that is preconfigured to run Riak, Basho's Dynamo-inspired key/value store.
Riak SmartMachines are available in two flavors: Open Source and Enterprise DS. The Open Source version of Riak is derived as a subset from the Enterprise DS version. The Enterprise DS version of Riak is available for a subscription license fee but includes addtional features such as:
- SNMP support
- Inter-datacenter replication (separate from intra-datacenter replication, which is supported in the open source version)
- A web-based administration interface
- Direct support from Basho Technologies.
In this topic:
In this section:
Release notes for this image:
Log into your Riak SmartMachine the same way you log into a standard SmartMachine:
Look for Riak SmartMachine components in the following locations:
- Riak package: Loaded from pkgsrc
- Riak executables: /opt/local/sbin
- Riak configuration files: /opt/local/etc/riak
Joyent SmartMachines use SMF to start and stop services.
|The usual 'riak stop' and 'riak start' commands will not work properly on a SmartMachine.|
Nodes only need to be joined to one node in a cluster. The following steps create a 3-node cluster by joining both node2 and node3 to node1.