Senior Network Security Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Joyent is the high-performance cloud infrastructure company built to power real-time web and mobile applications.
Joyent is currently seeking a Senior Network Security Engineer who will be responsible for providing network security architecture and implementation, coordinating information security efforts within the company, and identifying security initiatives and standards for safeguarding information assets held by Joyent. This will involve interacting with and working closely with business managers, the executive management team and peers.
The Senior Network Security Engineer is involved with establishing, implementing and maintaining enterprise and cloud information security tools, which includes procedures and policies designed to adequately protect enterprise communications, systems and assets from both internal and external threats. A key element of this role is working with interdisciplinary technical teams within Joyent to mitigate excessive levels of risk for the organization. They must be highly knowledgeable about the business environment and must ensure that information systems are maintained in a fully functional, secure state.
- Architect, develop and document industry best practices to support company initiatives while meeting performance and availability requirements
- Advise on secure network design and best practices. Design and deploy network components of security infrastructure
- Provide oversight of firewall access management and to enforce least privilege.
- Collaborate with Product, Operations and Engineering organizations to understand requirements and develop security specifications around project initiatives
- Research new security technologies and adopt suitable best practices to solve industry obstacles and security threats
- Insuring confidentiality, availability and integrity of cloud information systems and processes across the cloud infrastructure
- Audit all existing network standards: to include engineering designs, implementation, and guidelines
- Deploy and help to maintain internal security systems such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, proxy servers, VPN, web application firewalls, and DoS/DDoS defense
- Work with business colleagues to review RFPs, RFIs etc., and provide security and risk-related input into proposals
- Implementation and evolution of network access controls
- Iterate network security posture to better protect against attacks and detect new vectors
- Lead network efforts to mitigate and investigate security incidents
- Develop automation and utilize frameworks to scale both protection and mitigation tools
- Evaluate and test new vendor and in house network initiatives for security issues
- Mentor and evangelize security practices through cross-functional work with engineering teams
- Keep Joyent safe through active operation and defense of critical network infrastructure
- Serve as the network security subject matter expert for the incident response team and handle escalations of any possible incidents impacting the company
- Participate in on-call rotation and off hours work as necessary
- Up to 10% travel
- Must have a solid overall understanding of information technology and information security practices and trends
- Expert Linux/Unix Skills
- Understanding of current security issues and threats
- Hands-on Public Cloud (IaaS) experience – One or more of AWS, Azure, etc.
- Experience with defending DoS/DDoS attacks and managing response capabilities.
- Advanced Level knowledge, skills and experience with Juniper SRX firewalls
- Experience with Big Switch Big Monitoring Fabric security monitoring tool
- Provide expertise and guidance to junior engineers in the deployment of security tools
- Passionate about automation, performance, reliability, visibility, and finding creative solutions to complex security issues
- Must be an intelligent, articulate and persuasive leader who can serve as an effective member of the team and who is able to communicate security-related concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to work with cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams to achieve tactical and strategic information security goals
- Experience with security frameworks including ISO, NIST SP 800-53, HIPAA, PCI, FISMA, FedRamp, HITRUST, or NIST CSF
- Demonstrable knowledge of cryptographic concepts and techniques, including encryption, hashing, and key management
- Knowledge of security risks unique to cloud environments, API security vulnerabilities and remediation measures
- Understanding of Node.js Python, Shell or Perl in order to push software and network interaction
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, problem solving, troubleshooting and documentation skills
- Understanding of risks that can manifest in larger scale complex systems
- Korean language skill is a plus
- Minimum 5 years prior experience in an network security engineering role
- Worked in a zero Downtime environment
- Solid hands-on technical background particularly in managing highly complex, multi-platform environments (servers, storage, networks, security, virtualization, systems monitoring and management)
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field, or equivalent experience
- Advanced degree in technology related field is a plus
- Technical security related certifications are a plus:
- Industry Certifications – e.g. GIAC, ISACA, (ISC)², or JNCIP-SEC / JNCIE-SEC
Joyent, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung, is the open cloud company. With its Triton Kubernetes services and support, Joyent helps its customers build and operate modern cloud native applications across multiple clouds. Joyent’s Triton Private Regions provide low cost, dedicated cloud infrastructure that gives its customers the ability to own their data and control their cloud costs.
To apply, please submit a brief introduction, a copy of your resume, and a link to your Github or LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior Network Security Engineer in the subject. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
View All Open Positions at Joyent