Cloud Operations Engineer
Joyent Cloud Operations is looking for talented, passionate, and resourceful system/devops engineers to join our ranks. Candidates will work as part of an established but growing team that is focused on 24x7 support, availability, and uptime of the Joyent Triton Cloud. Our cloud spans multiple data centers including internationally, and houses some of the highest profile customers in the world. The lucky individuals will be involved with providing operational support, cloud service development and deployment of updates, advanced troubleshooting, architectural design, and management of the overall health of services running on our customer cloud platforms.
- 24x7x365 Product support for our Joyent Triton Cloud
- Monitoring and incident response to alerts
- Operating services running in our cloud environment
- Watch ticket queues and perform troubleshooting, engaging senior members for escalations as needed
- Hands on implementation, maintaining, and troubleshooting of complex virtualized environments
- Document pre-deployment and post-deployment plans along with the team for all configuration changes
- Stay abreast of current technologies and make recommendations based on knowledge and research
- Work rotating shift and weekend schedules as required
- System administration experience with SmartOS, Solaris, or Linux
- Experience managing large-scale Linux or Unix system deployments
- Experience with configuration management tools and Git
- Experience with KVM or similar virtualization technologies
- Operations programing experience in Shell (Bash, KSH), Perl, Python, or Node.js and a passion for building idempotent tools
- Experience with managing modern X86 Rack servers such as Dell, HP, Cisco, and SuperMicro, namely via IPMI
- A strong desire to troubleshoot problems and then distill processes into procedures, including documentation for both knowledge sharing and training of new employees
- Experience managing large globally distributed cloud deployments
- Experience with Zabbix, InfluxDB/statsd, large-scale LDAP deployments
- Experience with Docker, containers, and related technologies
- A strong background and familiarity with Illumos based OS's (OpenIndiana, OmniOS, SmartOS, or similar), and SMF, ZFS, and Zones technologies in particular
- Open source community involvement
- Database servers: MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Configuration management: Chef, Ansible
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience.
- 3+ years experience building and running a high-transactional, 24x7 production environment
- Strong familiarity with security as it applies to software, system and network engineering
- Experience delivering a world-class systems platform with scalability and resiliency
- Deep hands-on technical expertise; designing and deploying global Linux or Unix based systems
- Detail orientation on technology, technical-development, quality, operations and system performance.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- A sense of humor and humility an absolute MUST
Joyent, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung, is the open cloud company. With its Triton Kubernetes services and support, Joyent helps its customers build and operate modern cloud native applications across multiple clouds. Joyent’s Triton Private Regions provide low cost, dedicated cloud infrastructure that gives its customers the ability to own their data and control their cloud costs.
To apply, please submit a brief introduction, a copy of your resume, and a link to your Github or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com with Cloud Operations Engineer in the subject. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
View All Open Positions at Joyent